ALLIES Immigrant Integration Goal
Some immigrants or children of immigrants have never received formal schooling in their home language, or received very little formal schooling and never achieved full literacy. The same is true for those born in the U.S. with regards to the language of their heritage.
Attaining or improving First Language Literacy—the ability to read and write in one’s native language—may be a goal for adults who are literate in English and seek to improve their capacity in their native language. Additional motivation may include improving communication with one’s relatives and community (see also Participation in Civic and Community Life), preservation of one’s heritage, or building language skills for work and business relationships (see also Economic Security).
First Language Literacy may also serve as a bridge for adult English learners who are preliterate, those who have not yet developed full literacy in any language.
The resources listed below are organizations and other information in support of this goal.
- Campbell Adult & Community Education (CACE)
- CACE offers Job Training, ESL, Citizenship, Basic Skills, High School Completion and GED/HiSet Preparation. The Career Center offers free academic and career counseling, in-class goal-setting and individualized learning plans. CACE offers open enrollment 4 times a year. Class schedules are flexible, with day, evening, weekend and online options. See CACE Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing Member of the SBCAE (South Bay Consortium of Adult Education). Multi-language: Spanish, Vietnamese Key Words: Immigrant Integration, Vocational Training, Employment counseling, English as a Second Language
- Captain Jason Dahl Family Resource Center
- Catholic Charities Family Resource Centers (FRCs) serve families with children prenatal through age 5 of all income levels and legal status. Our prevention and education services promote the importance of school readiness through family engagement, early education, wellness and community leadership and advocacy programs. Our team includes trained staff and volunteers that offer culturally and linguistically sensitive center-based and in-home services in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Amharic and Portuguese. ALLIES6
- FACTR (Family Alliance for Counseling Tools and Resolution)
- Multi-cultural service, research and training center for the benefit of intergenerational immigrant families experiencing stress in their new environment. Provides counseling, psycho- educational services and cultural awareness programs for newcomer families and their children, regarding state Laws pertaining to Child Protection, Domestic Violence, Educational, Immigration and other areas. Nominal fees for services may be charged based on income. Multi-language: Key Words: Immigrant Integration, Advocacy, Mental Health, Legal, Allies6, Allies7
- Partners in Reading (PAR)
- Free one-to-one and small group tutoring for adults whose reading or writing skills are below the 9th grade level (any immigration status). and speak / understand conversational English. Tutoring is provided at the MLK Library or another public site in San Jose. Free Beginning and Intermediate ESL classes are offered. Key Words: Family Literacy, Computer Literacy, Immigrant Integration, Education. Language: Spanish Area Served: San Jose, CA
- SCC Libraries (SCCL)
- 8 Santa Clara County branch locations, 24/7 E-resources, plus a bookmobile. (Serving Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Morgan Hill, Saratoga and Woodland) Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Access to numerous resources including multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Tutoring, Immigration Legal Asst See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- San Jose Public Library System (SJPL)
- 27 Branches, Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Tutoring, Partners in Reading, Literacy, Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing