COVID-19 / Employment
Resources for students and teachers Community Colleges, Adult Ed, Distance Learning, Employment Opportunities, Job Search, Workers Rights
- DISASTER - Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
- DUA is a federal program that night be authorized to provide financial assistance to jobless workers and the self-employed when they are unemployed as a direct result of a Presidentially Declared major natural disaster.
- EDUCATION - Center for Employment Training (CET)
- CET has open enrollment and you can start anytime, even now. One of the most successful vocational training programs in the nation, Center for Employment TrainingÂ has always been a place where theÂ wholeÂ person is the focus.Â Employment Assistance, Childcare, ESL, Vocational Training, Member of , Multi-lingual: Spanish, Vietnamese Counties Served: Santa Clara, Sacramento, Monterrey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Ventura, Los Angeles, San Diego, Imperial, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Joaquin. Multi-language: Spanish Member of CADRE Disaster Collaboration and La Cooperativa Campesina
- EDUCATION - Learn to Earn Tool Kit
- THE LEARN TO EARN TOOLKIT IS A FREE ONLINE RESOURCE FOR INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED ADULT LEARNERS OF ENGLISH AND BASIC SKILLS. National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) Key Words: Instructor Resource, ESL
- EDUCATION - Opportunity Youth Academy (OYA)
- The Opportunity Youth Academy offers Santa Clara County students a blended program of teacher-directed instruction and online credit accrual and recovery options. The individualized support of teachers, counselors, navigators, liaisons and access to the services of SCCOE partners from community-based organizations is the hallmark of this unique program. The focus is ensuring that students leave the program with a high school diploma, and a path to college or career. The classes satisfy admission requirements for CA public universities and military service. Offices in: Milpitas, Gilroy, and San Jose Key Words: mental health, juvenile justice,
- EDUCATION - UndocuSpartan Student Resource Center
- Helping Undocumented Students Thrive at SJSU The UndocuSpartan Student Resource Center provides for undocumented students"and connects them with supporters throughout the SJSU community. The UndocuSpartan Student Resource Center (USRC) provides direct services such as financial aid resources and legal support to students who are undocumented and to those from mix-status families. Our goal is to ensure that students, regardless of their immigration status, have access to reliable information, equitable resources, and opportunities that support their academic and personal success.
- EMPLOYMENT - AFL-CIO: When the Paycheck Stops - Survival guide to unemployment
- Advice on surviving the COVID-19 pandemic including how to find the help you need, taking charge of your personal finances, and looking for a job. Key Words:
- EMPLOYMENT - CA EDD (Employment Development Dept)
- California is responding to the spread of a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus (COVID-19). While investigations to learn more about the virus are ongoing, workers and employers should review their health and safety procedures to help prevent exposure to the virus. The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs or have had their hours reduced due to the impacts of COVID-19. Key Words: Business, Unemployment,
- EMPLOYMENT - CA EDD is requiring the unemployed to look for work. Here’s what that means
- 6/17/21 California's Employment Development Department says that starting July 11, 2021 anyone receiving unemployment benefits must start looking for work - a return to the rules that applied before March 2020 when the federal government let states suspend the requirement.
- EMPLOYMENT - CA Labor & Workforce Development
- Grid of Benefits and eligibility for Workers Impacted by COVID-19. What employees are entitled to may be confusing. The purpose of this information is to make it easier to understand what resources may be available. Key Words: Disability, Unemployment, Paid Family Leave, Paid Sick Leave, Workers' Compensation
- EMPLOYMENT - CA State List of Essential Workers - Updated
- 6/16/21 The California State Public Health Officer has designated the following list of "Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers" to help state, local, tribal, and industry partners as they work to protect communities, while ensuring continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security.
- EMPLOYMENT - Culturally and Linguistically Competent Nursing Care - Free Online Course
- From Think Cultural Health - As healthcare disparities among cultural minority groups persist in our country, culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS) are increasingly recognized as an important strategy for improving quality of care to diverse populations. This e-learning program will equip you with the knowledge, skills, and awareness to provide the best care for all patients, regardless of cultural or linguistic background. This e-learning program is grounded in the HHS Office of Minority Health's National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Health and Health Care.
- EMPLOYMENT - Day Worker Center of Mt. View
- COVID-19 Update - Employer requests are down, and the Center continues to serve breakfast and lunch to program participants***** Connects workers and employers in a safe and supportive environment. Empowers workers to improve their socio-economic condition through fair employment, ESL, and education. Multi-language: Spanish Key Words: Vocational Education, Employment, jobs
- EMPLOYMENT - DiversityInc Job Board
- Apply to work at companies that "get it." In 2020, DiversityInc's job board included more than 166,000 job listings hiring diverse applicants. Our job board is a useful tool both for recruiters working to hire qualified talent and job seekers looking to work at organizations that value diversity, inclusion, equity and innovation. Free to job seekers.
- EMPLOYMENT - Employment-Based Visa Categories in the United States
- 7/8/21 One of the key principles guiding the U.S. immigration system has been admitting foreign workers with skills that are valuable to the U.S. economy. Current U.S. immigration law provides several paths for foreign workers to enter the United States for employment purposes on a temporary or permanent basis. This fact sheet provides basic information about how the employment-based U.S. immigration system works.
- EMPLOYMENT - Expand Ability
- Expandability's mission is to provide support and services that aim to improve the quality of life of people with disabilities by supporting and developing their abilities through advocacy and meaningful employment. Services currently provided virtually due to COVID-19. A program of Goodwill of Silicon Valley Key Words: AFN, job search, disability
- EMPLOYMENT - Expedited Licensure Process for Refugees, Asylees, and Holders of Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs)
- Beginning January 1, 2021, individuals in with refugee, asylee, or special immigrant visa status, who apply for licensure by the Board of Registered Nursing may seek an expedited licensure process. In order to receive the expedited licensure process, individuals must provide evidence of their refugee, asylee, or special immigrant visa status when submitting their application package.
- EMPLOYMENT - FAQs for CA Workers - Know Your Rights
- This information from the CA State Employment Development Dept provides general guidance as to what programs are available and what situations may be applicable to your circumstances. We encourage you to apply for the program you believe best fits your needs and the EDD will determine your eligibility for Disability or Paid Family Leave or Unemployment Insurance Benefits Multi-language: Spanish Key Words: Coronavirus, Jobs, KYR, COVID-19
- EMPLOYMENT - Immigrant Workers' Rights and COVID-19 - Frequently Asked Questions
- 4/10/20 This document from the National Employment Law Project.answers frequently asked questions from immigrant workers and their advocates about COVID-19-related topics. Key Words: Undocumented
- EMPLOYMENT - Minimum wage in Silicon Valley going up in January
- 12/29/21 San Jose workers will see their hourly rate go from $15.45 to $16.20, while those in Mountain View and Sunnyvale will see theirs bump to $17.10 from $16.30"the highest minimum wage in the region. Once a national leader in increasing the minimum wage, San Jose continues to fall behind other cities who previously followed its footsteps. After voters approved Measure D to bring wages from $8 to $10 in 2012, six other cities in Santa Clara County also adopted their own increases. A decade later, San Jose is trailing behind all of them"almost $1 less than the highest rate in the region. Key Words: Employment
- EMPLOYMENT - Move Up - Employment Services for Women
- Nonprofit that empowers under-served women by helping them find jobs, succeed in careers, and start small businesses. Provides free one-on-one video career mentoring services to low income women around the US. Services include: *Create a resume and LinkedIn Profile *Identify the right career path *Prepare for interviews *Identify and apply for job openings *Negotiate salary *Understand opportunities for networking. Key Words: Employment,
- EMPLOYMENT - OnwardCA
- OnwardCA is an initiative of companies, foundations, and humans to get California workers displaced by COVID-19 essential life services and back to work as quickly as possible. Help you get money or groceries or child care; help you upskill, reskill, or refresh; and help you land a great new job.
- EMPLOYMENT - Remote.co - Remote Employment Job Listing
- Looking for a remote job as a developer, customer service rep, recruiter, designer or sales professional? Browse openings in those categories and more below. We hand curate this list to showcase the best remote job opportunities in the most recruited job categories. Find a remote job here to launch your work anywhere career. Key Words: coronavirus, employment, COVID-19
- EMPLOYMENT - SCC Office of Labor Standards Enforcement
- Resources, advice and information around workplace safety and compliance with COVID guidelines, fair wages, and workers' rights. Spanish | Vietnamese | Chinese |
- EMPLOYMENT - SJPL Works: Career & Business
- SJPL Works unites the expertise of the area's top leaders in economic and workforce development to create an extensive network of resources for employment seekers, small business owners, and entrepreneurs. We have partnered with numerous local organizations, including Employment Development Department (EDD), SCORE, Silicon Valley Talent Partnership, Robert Half, SJSU Career Center, US Patent & Trademark Office, AnewAmerica, and work2future.
- EMPLOYMENT - Santa Clara County Living Wage Rate thru June 2022
- County's Living Wage rates are reviewed and updated annually based on specified cost of living adjustments. New rates are effective July 1 of the following fiscal year. Key Words: SCC, employment
- EMPLOYMENT - Senior Community Service Employment Program
- Offered in Santa Clara, San Benito, Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties. Where we assist mature adults 55+ to find part time employment with paid classroom training, job placement and follow-up. Must be unemployed, eligible to work, with income below 125% of Federal Poverty level. Positions include Teacher's Aide, Receptionist, Office Assistant, Health Aide, Computer Operations and more. Contact Melody Insogna (8:30 am - 2:00 pm) 408-577-1981 ext. 302
- EMPLOYMENT - Silicon Valley Council of Non-Profits (SVCN) Job Board
- The SVCN is leveraging our job board to help nonprofits providing essential services connect with talented and passionate nonprofit staff who suddenly find themselves out of work or underemployed. If you have openings you need to fill right away, we'll post the positions on our website and share them with our nonprofit email list and on our social media feeds including LinkedIn. Please choose the Member rate on the submission form. Key Words: Employment, CBO
- EMPLOYMENT - Undocumented Workers’ Employment Rights
- 12/20 With a few exceptions, undocumented workers enjoy all of the legal rights and remedies provided to workers by both federal and California law. Multi-language: Spanish | Chinese | Key Words: discrimination, job
- EMPLOYMENT - Upwardly Global
- Highly qualified immigrant professionals want to rebuild their careers here in the U.S., but they're not familiar with the American way to job search. We are a nonprofit organization that helps highly-skilled immigrants, refugees and asylees reclaim their careers here in the United States and helps American employers discover and understand this hidden talent pool. Professional Licensing Guides | Offices in San Francisco and San Jose, CA English Flyer | Spanish Flyer | Russian Flyer | Chinese Flyer | Portuguese Flyer | Key Words: Employment, Career, Professional, RIF
- EMPLOYMENT - Work2Future
COVID-19 Update: Shifted from in-person services to remote assistance. Information and links to Coronavirus relief information for individuals, businesses, and employment opportunities.
Work2future operates One-Stop Centers that serve the areas of San Jose, Campbell, Morgan Hill, Los Altos Hills, Gilroy, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, and the unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County. Free services and classes are provided for residents, businesses, and youth, including: job search, job training, ESL classes, assessments, career counseling, and more. Information in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. Key Words:
- ESL - English for My Job
- Website for people who work in restaurants, bars, hotels, cafes, airports, and anywhere else where you might have to talk to customers in English. .Most of the exercises are free. Part of the LearnEnglishFeelGood product line. Key Words: ESL, Distance Learning, Student Resource, English as a Second Language, Vocational ESL
- HEALTH - Bosses to U.S. workers- Vaccination or termination
- 8/30/21 Corporate leaders have clearly become impatient. They've decided to use their freedom and workplace muscle to choose what risks are worthwhile for their enterprises. Unvaccinated workers have become a no-go. Yes, the workplace vaccination drive isn't simply a health concern for a company's communities. There are monetary motivations, too. Healthier nation, healthier profits. Key Words: Pandemic
- HEALTH - SCC Self-Certification of Vaccination Status
- 5/18/21 Under the Health Officer's Order, all businesses and governmental entities in Santa Clara County are required to determine the COVID-19 vaccination status of their employees (as well as contractors, volunteers, and others who regularly work onsite). In light of this requirement, you must provide the information requested on this form. Key Words: Pandemic
- IMMIGRANTS - ITIN - The Facts about the Individual Tax Identification Number
- The Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure that people - including unauthorized immigrants - pay taxes even if they do not have a Social Security number and regardless of their immigration status. ITINs allow the IRS to bring in billions of dollars the federal government otherwise would have no way of collecting. This fact sheet explains what ITINs are, who has them, and the purposes for which they are used. Key Words:
- LEGAL - Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center
- COVID-19 Update: We are continuing to educate our clinical law students and serve clients remotely. For pro bono advice and representation in: Consumer Law, Immigration Law, or Workers' Rights, please leave a voicemail at (408) 288-7030. Free Santa Clara County Office of Labor Enforcement advice line on employment law issues. 1(866) 870-7725. Multi-language: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Mandarin Key Words:
- LEGAL - Legal Aid at Work
COVID-19 Update - If you are having work-related issues due to the coronavirus, call our Work & Family helpline: 800-880-8047 or general helpline: 415-864-8848.
Multi-language: English, Spanish, Chinese, Urdu, Vietnamese and Farsi
English Coronavirus FAQ |
Vietnamese Coronavirus FAQ |
Spanish Coronavirus FAQ |
Chinese Coronavirus FAQ
Key Words: Employment
Legal Aid at Work offers free information online, including our selection of more than 100 detailed and up-to-date fact sheets about specific provisions of the law related to employment. Also English, Spanish and Chinese manuals for employers to protect the rights of their workers.. Spanish | Chinese Workers' Rights Clinic, helplines 415-864-8208 or 866-864-8208 (toll-free) Key Words: ALLIES1, RRN, Rapid Response
- MENTAL HEALTH - How to Create Pandemic-Proof Grief Support at Work
- Workplaces have long struggled to address grief and death, even before the COVID-19 pandemic. Often, companies default to a standard 3 day bereavement leave policy and don't account for the diverse ways people approach their grief. Of the many things this pandemic has brought to light, one is that employers are wholly unprepared to support the grieving workplace that will soon return to their desks.
- NEWS - California 1st to Set Quota Limits for Retailers Like Amazon
- 9/22/21 California on Wednesday became the first state to bar mega-retailers from firing warehouse workers for missing quotas that interfere with bathroom and rest breaks under a new law signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom that grew from Amazon's drive to speed goods to consumers more quickly. The measure also bars Amazon, the online retail giant, and similar companies from disciplining workers for following health and safety laws and allows employees to sue to suspend unsafe quotas or reverse retaliation. The bill applies to all warehouse distribution centers, though proponents were driven by Amazon's dominance.
- RESOURCE - Bay Area Vanpool Program
- Enterprise and MTC (Metropolitan Transportation Commission) connect employees who live near each other and provide them with a recent-model van or SUV. Riders commute together, saving money, freeing up time to relax or catch up on work. MTC will subsidize eligible* commutes up to $350/month. Vanpools must start or end in one of the 9 eligible Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma Counties). Check for other program requirements.
- RESOURCE - La Cooperativa Campesina de California
- A 501 c (3) corporation, is the statewide association of agencies implementing and administering farm worker service programs including employment training, advocacy and disaster relief. Members: California Human Development Corporation (CHDC) | Center for Employment Training (CET) | Central Valley Opportunity Center (CVOC) | Employers' Training Resource (ETR) | Proteus, Inc. | Multi-language: Spanish
- RESOURCE - San Jose City COVID-19 Resources for Employers, Workers, and Businesses
- The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is creating a challenging business climate in San Jose and across the country. We are providing this Directory to serve as a centralized resource for employers, employees, small businesses and non-profits to discover critical information and help.
- RESOURCE - Santa Clara County CAN (COVID-19 Assistance Navigation Hotline)
- Leave a message on the SCC CAN Hotline 408-802-2124 and receive a call back within 24 hours with assistance to: ***Navigate safety net services like unemployment, food, housing, and others by helping you understand what assistance is available and guiding you through the application process. ***If needed, we can connect you with legal aid attorneys to answer questions about work related legal issues, such as questions related to employment status and income. Mulri-language: English, Spanish and Vietnamese SCC CAN is a project of the Fair Workplace Collaborative: Vietnamese American Round Table, Pilipino Association of Workers and Immigrants, Day Worker Center of Mountain View, Step Forward Foundation, Enterprise Foundation, Latino Business Council of Silicon Valley, Working Partnerships USA
- RESOURCE - Technology Guide for People with Disabilities
- Various organizations work to help people with disabilities to overcome social, physical, attitudinal or other difficulties and avoid exclusion from many areas of life. Many employers nowadays offer opportunities for them to earn decent money. And there are multiple resources, software programs, and technological devices to help young people with different disabilities to obtain a proper education and subsequent benefits. Key Words:
- RESOURCE - US Living Wage Calculator
- The tool helps individuals, communities, and employers determine a local wage rate that allows residents to meet minimum standards of living. Update: In previous iterations of the tool, child care expenses reflected values generated at the state level. In the summer of 2020, childcare expenses were ground-truthed (we established data values for all 3142 counties in the country). We collected data from providers and data aggregators with a focus wherever possible on registered child care centers.
- USCIS - Working in the United States - Eligibility and Requirements
- A USCIS description of the types of work permission in the US, the eligibility and application requirements. Information for Employers & Employees about the categories: Temporary Workers * Permanent Workers * Students and Exchange Visitors * Temporary Visitors for Business Key Words: Immigration, EMPLOYMENT